Sealoyd Jones, III
Sealoyd has a very interesting path to Challenge Day. Although he has always had a heart for people and has worked with young people for a long time, he pursued a career in engineering. After receiving his Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial/Operations Engineering from The University of Michigan, he realized that his interests and values were leading him down a very different path. Leaning into some wise advice of finding something that he would do for free and finding a way to get paid to do it, he went back to the University of Michigan to obtain a Master’s Degree in Social Work. Always interested in giving back, he then went to work for a well known youth theater in Detroit, providing counseling, management, and direction for over 150 young people every year for 7 years. Unfortunately, due to a down turn in the economy, he was laid off and found himself at another cross roads.
One of the parents at the theater company told him about Challenge Day and referred him to the website, and he fell in love with the program. Realizing that applying would require him to move across the country and live outside of Michigan for the first time ever, his initial reaction was a rousing “NO”; however, going to a Challenge Day in Detroit, he realized that he loved this work and that he was willing to take a huge leap of faith to try something really new.
With Challenge Day, he now gets to utilize his background in Social Work, Passion for working with youth, desire to meet as many people as possible and see different parts of the country and the world, to do one of the most important things that he feels he can, show people that they can be connected and love each other!
If you really knew me, you would know…
- I'm really proud to be from Detroit. It’s had a bad reputation, but it’s full of vibrant, incredible people and amazing art and music.
- I enjoy laughing and appreciate anyone who can make me laugh!
- I LOVE music, especially Gospel, Motown, Soul, and Funk! You'll often hear Kirk Franklin, The Temptations, Michael Jackson, Prince, and Earth, Wind, and Fire if you are with me.
- I'm a singer and an actor (amateur – For now!). One of my favorite roles was playing James “Thunder” Early in Dreamgirls (Jimmy Got Soul, Jimmy Got Soul, Jimmy got S-O-U-L, SOUL!!!). I aspire to do voice over work and more stage work and I go see live theater whenever possible!
- I love Horror Movies. I think they are more poignant and are more of a mirror to our society than we might think.
- I also love cartoons, fantasy, and SciFi. I love stories, and I love to get them in any medium (Books, Movies, Television, Theater, etc).
- My faith is incredibly important to me and I believe it is what allows me to love as much as I do! I'm as active as I can be with my home church in Detroit.
- I love Gummy Bears.