Rachel Sheinbein is the Co-Founder and Managing Director of Makeda Fund, investing in public companies with women CEOs. Before she launched Makeda, she was a Partner at CMEA Capital, a private equity firm with over $1.2 billion under management, investing in Clean Technology. She was formerly a board member for Arcadia Biosciences and Solaria.
She is an active angel investor in companies such as Goldieblox, Social Imprints and PV Evolution Labs (recently acquired). Before CMEA, Ms. Sheinbein was a consultant for start-ups in the areas of bio-plastics, solar and water. For nine years prior, Ms. Sheinbein worked at Intel, in wastewater systems, environmental health & safety, and supply chain IT. Ms. Sheinbein is the President of the board of Expanding Your Horizons Network, a non-profit that encourages girls in math, science, engineering and technology. In addition, Ms. Sheinbein is on the board of the Hadassah Foundation. Ms. Sheinbein holds a Chemical Engineering degree with a concentration in Environmental Engineering from the University of Pennsylvania. Ms. Sheinbein was also a sponsored fellow at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) where she received an MBA and a Masters in Civil and Environmental Engineering, with a focus on operations and supply chain.
If you really knew me, you would know...
- My grandma, who died when she was 99, was a wonderful role-model for me and in every conversation and letter she would end with “Love is the Word.” We held our wedding in her home city when she was almost 99, as she was our most important guest. She would definitely understand the basis of love as the key in the work of Challenge Day.
- When my sister and her family moved to San Francisco after 15 years of living on opposite coasts, I felt incredibly lucky. And, then I decided we weren’t close enough! We now live 2 blocks away from each other (my grandma and her sister lived across the street from each other for many years), and I completely adore her 3 kids.
- I’m one of 4 siblings and we own a house together and still enjoy family vacations. (Testament to my parents)
- My dad died when I was 18. My mom lost her best friend at a young age, and we all lost a terrific cheerleader in our lives.
- I love to invest in women publicly via Makeda Fund and many of my angel investments are started by women and I sit on the Hadassah Foundation that gives to women and girls and I am President of the board of the Expanding Your Horizons Network, which inspires girls in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math.
- Getting married to a wonderful partner has been the biggest opportunity for living a life with a more full and expanded version of myself. I love walking this journey with my husband Joe.
- Compassion and love towards myself has been a real challenge, but every time I see the often non-obvious benefit of how having a more open heart towards myself helps me to love others more, I continue down that path. I know Challenge Day helps me with this as well as so many others.