Katie Healey was born and raised in Urbana, IL. She was the youngest of three, until her mother remarried; now Katie sits in the middle of seven siblings. Growing up in a large college town allowed her to witness and experience an eclectic mix of cultures from all over the world. While studying Speech Communications and Sociology at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign she found a deeper appreciation for the way people communicate, ranging from interpersonal interactions to global movements. While in school, Katie volunteered co-conducting a poetry workshop in the local county jail. There she learned from the inmates about how - no matter our circumstances or struggles - each of us has the desire to be seen and heard, and feel connection with others. As a foster care caseworker, Katie understood the absolute need for young people to have a voice in their own lives.
Katie has always been able to see things from others' perspectives, and believes that if we all did that the world would be a more peaceful place. Leaving central Illinois, to explore the world alone, has driven Katie's goal for living her life 100%. Traveling around the world is a passion of hers and she hopes to continue visiting and experiencing other cultures and celebrating the joys of life with strangers and friends alike. Finding Challenge Day proved to be a dream job. All of the seemingly random and heart-driven choices Katie made in her life led her to being more capable to serve as a Challenge Day Leader.
If you really knew me, you would know…
- I believe our words create our world and I try to choose mine carefully.
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is a passion of mine! I could train all day everyday!
- Sometimes I need to remind myself not to play small around others.
- I LOVE being in, on, or near the ocean. Its effect on me is overpowering.
- I can be as afraid of success as I am of failure.
- I love fall! I turn into a little kid as soon as the leaves change color; I can't walk by without crunching, kicking, and skipping through as many fallen leaves as possible!
- I cry when I laugh hard.
- I believe people come into our lives for a reason.